Ever since i made these for the first time as a christmas eve appetizer in december, family has been requesting them of me for any gatherings so i thought i’d share the recipe!
- 1 lb of bacon (be sure to get a pack that is more lean than fatty) I use oscar meyers.
- 1 pk. of Hillshire Farms Smoke Sausage Smokies
- 1 – 2 cups of light brown sugar (or to taste)
- 9 x 13 foil pans (for easier clean up)
The picture below shows two foil pans but I doubled this recipe for the picture below.
- Cut your bacon into even thirds. This will give you just enough bacon to wrap around the smokie so that the overlapping pieces stick to each other so toothpicks are not needed. Then just lay the smokie in the pan ‘on the overlapping pieces’ so that they stay.
- Then just smother ’em with brown sugar! This is a little much but you get the idea. I learned from this time that you don’t want alot of clumps around the top because they will burn during baking and broiling step.
- Have your oven pre-heated to 400 and put these in uncovered for 45 minutes (i have a gas stove) and keep checking them the last 10 minutes or so. The brown sugar will have melted and you’ll see that the bacon is changing color to a more cooked, dark red/brown color. Once the bacon looks done enough on top you could turn them over for about 5 minutes but i found that i didn’t have too the 2nd time i made them.
- Then before i take them out, i turn on my broiler on high for about 5 – 10 minutes to give the bacon one final push for crispyness because these things are much better when they are crispy.
- Then to server, I usually have a crockpot already warming up before i place them inside. Just don’t put the lid on…they will get soggy.
That is all! Try them out!