Flower Arranging 101
I know…I know. April hasn’t been any more active than March was for me. Things going on, just no time to sit down and craft. It’s normal to hit a dry spell of sorts from time to time. I notice in thinking about this as I’m writing now that alot of it has to do with how creative I need to be at work seems to determine how much I have left then on the weekends to really sit down and work on things. Right now that definetly is the case. Today though I was cleaning up my craft room and I felt like sitting down and working on the flower arrangement I’ve been planning for my dining room.
I know the rule is to make sure an arrangement looks good at all angles.
I know that my arrangement isn’t symmetrical exactly or exactly perfect, but I really more wanted the look to be more natural and the feeling that I just picked them from the garden and put them in the basket.
This is really the best angle I think.
Here is how the flower arrangement progressed:
I was at Michaels, and they had baskets 50% off and the spring flowers were on sale. I then saw the burlap and I had the idea to encorporate it into the arrangement to add a little more to the basket.
First I prepared the burlap in the basket.
I didn’t measure, more ran the burlap around the perimeter of the basket and cut it off.
I then lined each top edge of the basket to secure alittle the burlap to the edge to reduce it slipping around.
I folded in the corners like so for the burlap and tucked the other end inside.
Next, I placed my green foam in the center and it fit just snug enough. On to cutting the flowers.
If you look at the original picture, the flowers were tall so I snipped them off with wire cutters in 2 different lengths.
The small yellow were not on a limb to be snipped so I just pulled them off the bottoms and thought i’d use them as filler on the edges.
I don’t know why but I didn’t take photos as I went along because I wasn’t sure I’d get what I wanted on the first try.
Basically, I took the longer stems and laid them almost horizontally and on a slant pushed them into the foam on the right and left sides. I alternated the white and the yellow. Then that only left a medium sized gap in the middle that I filled in with the middle lengthed flowers of white and a few gold. The smaller yellow ones you can see in the picture below running along the side near the burlap.
This really only took collectively 30 minutes.
So happy to be crafty and blogging again!