Rag Quilt from Homespun
Finally finished this quilt last night and couldn’t post until now since i’m giving it as a gift to my sister tonight !
Here is how the project progressed:
Near the end of november, I got all my homespun and muslin. I placed 2 pieces of muslin in the middle of each piece of homespun to make a heavier feeling quilt. I’m glad I did because it really added a nice weight to the blanket.
I scanned each different pattern of each color homespun fabric and in photoshop arranged the material until I got a pattern I liked.
I purchased 4 different patterns of each color (3 colors: burgundy, navy, and hunter green).
I printed it out and used it as a guide. The white marks I made using my white gel pen since some of them I needed help recognizing what color they were on my print out but it helped tremendously doing it this way since I don’t really have the room to ‘plan out’ my pattern using the fabric.
My squares were cut with a seam allowance size of 7 inches (final size 6 inches). I sewed 1/2 inch edges.
When I got to the end, my blanket was much shorter than I envisioned. So from my scraps I thought i’d try to make them work to add some length to each side.
I instead decided it would be better to add to the design (2 more rows) and get more fabric. The final size of this quilt is 48 x 66.
After all rows are sewed, the next step is to snip every half inch or so on your 1/2 inch seam allowances. Making sure not to cut into the stitching.
Below, is a view of my snipping done! Took about 2.5 hours to complete the cutting.
Warning! this is what your lap will look like after working with the homespun! Boy that stuff frays! 🙂 Lint brush! Get me my lint brush!
Next step, is to wash it. The moment of truth! I got worried that one of the middle seams would not fray away and make a huge hole right in the middle of the blanket. eek!
Here is what it looked like after washing. It didn’t fall apart!
Looked alittle rough putting it into the dryer though.
Threw a dryer sheet in their for static.
After watching, I really liked the subtle look the first washing gave it. I decided to not wash it again for it to fray more. Next, was to take the lint brush to it.
By the way, here is what my dryer trapped in the lint tray after drying!
Here is more of a close up of the edges. I like that it’s more subtle fraying.
Next, I plan on starting to put together my Antoinette’s labyrinth quilt I designed. This is a topper, batting, backing type quilt.
Thanks for visiting!