Altered Address Book
With a couple bumps in the road (and 2 containers of mod podge…i’ll explain) I was finally able to complete this address book!
Finished Address Book Front and Back
Here is a close up view of the front title.
Here is a view of the back.
Here is how this project progressed:
I got this alterable address book from Oriental Trading. I’d never seen one and thought it would be great to have one that I decorated myself.
I had an idea about ‘quilting’ the front. All the fabric I have isn’t very bright colors so I thought about using paper.
It’s no secret that I absolutely love DCWV paper. Michaels was having a sale on their mat stacks so I picked up their Citrus Matstack.
I went through the stack, and cut out 2 inch strips from each different paper in the book. I love how bright they are and they all coordinate with each other.
I then took those strips and cut them down again into 1 inch squares. I tried to go even further with triangles, but when I started to lay them on the address book they just didn’t look right to me so I left the design at just 1 inch squares. After I laid all of the squares down, I brushed matte mod podge over them to seal them in.
After placing the squares in the pattern of glittered, not glittered, glittered, not glittered that was all I planned on doing. However, after I saw it, it looked unfinished to me with just the paper on it. I thought it could use some sort of border. I looked through my ribbon, and found this white satin and thought i’d glue it on each seam so to speak.
I started by gluing the ribbon around the perimeter then decided to weave the cross sections so I glued the vertical ones inch by inch. As I was going down, I weaved the shorter width seams over and under and did that all the way down. Then I glued the rest of the perimeter. This picture is the back of the book.
I took this picture to showcase the paper a little more. Wanted to capture the glittering on every other piece.
This was an afterthought as well. I thought the book needed a title so I cut these letters using my Cricut ‘Cutting Up’ cartridge. Another change of plans, I thought i’d use white letters, but laying them on the book they blended in too much so instead of cutting out more, I just daubed over every letter with this scarlet color that matches the paper perfectly. I then glued the letters in place. Funny how a project takes it’s own course sometimes.
Here is the most major bump during this project!
Don’t leave your 4 year old alone too long. This is what can happen in just 3 minutes! And yes, he managed to do this 2 times.
Thanks for visiting!